What's new
🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Why the Red Book?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Why did Tolkien create the idea of the Red Book of Westmarch? Other fantasy writers have just written. Was it to cover up for any mistake he may have made or anything he wanted to correct (such as the Riddle Game)?

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
I'm not sure as to why Tolkien used the Red Book idea - but I think he intended to do the same with the Silmarillion. Which was supposed to be written after the Elder Days had passed by the Men of ME. I remember reading an essay in the 'War of the Jewels' in which Tolkien says, for instance, that the History of the Sun and Moon as we know it (that they are the last fruits of the two trees) is untrue - and that the Elves being close to the Valar in Valinor knew the truth... presumably - that they were created at the same time as Arda and are much like our sun and moon.

I love the Idea of the Red Book though - a kind of fiction with in a fiction. It's one of those thing that make Middle-Earth so rich - like the Legends of the Eldar Days.

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
This is one of the greatest gifts of "Mythic Literature". The literary device of using fictional texts as the source of information and lore is a fairly common trick used by Storytellers. Note: that I said storyteller instead of author. There is a vast difference between the two. A storyteller presents his/her audience with what they want or need. An author simply writes a book.

The use of the "Red Book" allowed Tolkien to present his readers with a story that has the same feel of forgoten history. Basicly, Tolkien says to this audience "look what I have found, come share it with me." rather than "look what I have made, admire me."

Plus, Frodo describes the Book as being leather-bound. Take it from me, it is much easier to tan leather red than any other color*

RD

*not including natural brown

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Basicly, Tolkien says to this audience "look what I have found, come share it with me." rather than "look what I have made, admire me."
Ooh, excellently put RD. That's exactly what I think. :eek:

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
It makes it seem more genueine... genuiene?

If the story does not deny that it is being writen, it must either
A. Acknowledge that there are readers and a writer and in a sense acknowledge that this is fiction (A lot of kids books do this, with side notes to the reader, saying things like "I have heard this can happen, but have never seen it", which you know are being said by the author.)
B. Write the whole thing in first person.
C. Do what Tolkien did and have a character within the story writing it.
D. Claim that the whole text is an old history book, which Tolkien also did.

In some of my writing I have used A and in others D. It takes a better writer than me to do B or C, and D came across strange...

Well, perhaps B is not for better writers... I just don't like first person style.

DRavisher

Reaction score
One question: What is the Red Book? And where should i have read about it???

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Originally posted by DRavisher
One question: What is the Red Book? And where should i have read about it???
The Red Book of the Westmarch is the collective term for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as written by Mr. Bilbo Baggins and Mr. Frodo Baggins. (With the bit at the end written by Mr. Samwise Gamgee)

This is the fictional book of Hobbit lore that Professor Tolkien "discovered" and "translated" in his storytelling.

Don't feel to bad about missing it, or let anyone hassle you for not catching the refference right away. It is easy to miss. I did the same thing on my first reading oh so many years ago.

RD
:cool:

DRavisher

Reaction score
I did know that Bilbo wrote The Hobbit, and that Frodo wrote The Lord Of The Rings, but I did not know that this was called the Red Book. Thanks for the update:)

Thread suggestions