🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Why was Caradhras Cruel?

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I always thought it had something to do with the balrogs and other evil stuff underneath it in the mines of Moria... I'm not sure though.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
Balrogs don't affect the weather as far as I know. I think the harsh climate is as Gimli said, something that has characterized the mountain for a long time. In the movie it is made out as being Saruman who makes it cruel, which I would say is highly unlikely, even though the book doesn't say he didn't do it. It is not something someone like Saruman would do.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
This is a good question, and I have an ok answer because I spend most of my free time sitting in a rocking chair in a dim, dark room thinking about it:
In realistic terms, Caradhras was called 'the cruel' because it was probably quite tall, and swept by cold winds and continuous snowfall (at least at the summit), and anybody who tried to climb it was met by a freezing flurry of foul weather, which was detected as potential nature spiritism and cruelty.
In the book it could be a dying, evil spirit that maybe fled from Angmar or even Angband, and inhabited the mountain and fed it with its own malignancy.
But I personally think it is just one of nature's many unexplained quirks, and Tolkien made Caradhras 'cruek' because he wanted to show his readers (not on an allegorical level, mind you) that nature should be respected and revered (like God, in a sense) because of its might and mystery.

gimli_alvevenn

Reaction score
Or......

Or maby Tolkien is talking about the return of Sauron in the third age, for I'm not sure, but I think Saruman walked the face of Arda in the secound age as well, an the he had to be able to controll Caradras. But the Saruman has to be of the evil kind the entire time, so it's up to you to draw a conclusion.

Thread suggestions