🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Would Sam have been a better Ringbearer?

Wood Elf

Reaction score
I apoligize if this thread has been done already, but would Sam have been better than Frodo at accomplishing this task?

Sam was of less social stature than Frodo, so he really wouldn't be interested in power. Also, I know Frodo was more aware of the dangers they were in, moreso than any of the other hobbits, and knew what was at hand. Sam wasn't as aware, but wouldn't that maybe work to his advantage?

Maybe I am wrong here, I am seeing, because Frodo's awareness of the dangers they are getting into, and the realization of what has to be done, and how important this mission is, puts Frodo a notch above the other hobbits as a Ring-bearer candidate. He knows, and is walking into the dangers fully aware and awake of what he is to do, and what it will involve. Sam would go into the dangers somewhat 'blinded', not totally aware, and therefore might fail when it got really bad. He doesn't fail, but that is him accompaning Frodo who has the ring. It might have been very different had Sam had the Ring himself.

Okay, now that I am done, and have disproven my own point, I will go back into my lurking state, and learn from all you smart people, that maybe someday I can know as much as you can..:D

daisy

Reaction score
I think it is a tough call if you only look at it as a matter of chance that Frodo got to be ringbearer in thei first place -
Sam's lesser intelligence, lesser age, and total loyalty and devoption to the Shire and his friends would seem to make him as good a ringbearer as any - he did not concern himself much with the weighty matters of world annihilation if they failed in their quest - he worried about whether Frodo had enough to eat! So physically and mentally maybe he could have made it...

Yet I subscribe to the notion that Frodo was the pre-ordained ring-bearer in some way - Bilbo gets the ring, a hobbit who just happens to know Gandalf, and then Frodo is given the ring even though Gandalf is not quite sure whether it is the ring....and there it is - Frodo is the ringbearer and is carried through his quest through a series of fateful events and meetings.

So I think Sam would have been a-okay if it had been up to anyone in the first place - and actually Sam was the ringbearer for a pretty important part of the whole adventure.

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
Frodo was better as a Ringbearer, I suppose, because he knows a lot more about where they are going, and very important, he is able to speak tactfully. That comes in very handy on more than one occasion, escpecially to get Gollum to help them and to persuade Faramir to let them o their task. Sam would never have gotten either of them to help them (when sepaking to Faramir he blows it immediately by saying they are carrying the Ring). So Frodo's intellectual qualities make him a better Ringbearer. Fo the rest it doesn't really matter, Sam would be just as resilient to the Ring's power than Frodo, I suppose.
And it was natural that he would be it, because he was Bilbo's cousin, so indeed he was 'meant' to do it.

Feanorian

Reaction score
The reason I see Sam as a better ring bearer is because he was hesitant enough to leave the Shire although he did want to see elves. He probably would not have gone had he not had a great love for Frodo and his well being. In fact Frodo didn't want to take him it was out of his devotion that he did.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
You say that the evil sam would be a better Ringbearer type just because he's hesitant and had love for the superly boring Frodo? I don't get it. Do you think that the evil sam would get Gollum the Hero to help him out? I doubt it. Or are we deciding that the superly boring Frodo gets to come even if he's not the Ringbearer type? Whoops. oh well. I don't want to make the evil sam look good. I'd better leave. :rolleyes:

Feanorian

Reaction score
Blast. I meant to say that he would not be a very good ring bearer for all of those reasons. He was in my opinion too "soft" at the beginning of the journey.

Captain

Ramble On!
Reaction score
No, I think Frodo had the strength, and Sam was loyal enough to carry him through it. It was perfect.

ely

Parampampaa
Reaction score
I agree that Sam wouldn't have been a better Ringbearer. He didn't have the right character for that. He was too mild and not that quick-witted. Not that he was stupid, but he didn't think how things might end up, what his deeds might cause.

Celebthôl

Loremaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Arvedui
*bump*
Weh? does that mean it was merged?

Well the way i see it is Sam was not to smart, therefore he although being resouceful (sp) would not have done the task, he would have killed Gollum etc, i dont think it would have been wise, when all is said and done....Sam is...well...dumb.

Celebthôl

Loremaster
Reaction score
He came very close didnt he?
Even without the ring, i swear he either broke or nearly broke Gollums are right? When he hit it with his stick that Faramir gave him.

Feanorian

Reaction score
Weh? does that mean it was merged?
In case you havent been informed. *Bump* means that the thread is brought back up to the top so it can be viewed again and posted on.

He came very close didnt he?
Kinda but the One Ring did not make very much of a difference for the hobbits, just invisibility and a whole lota shadows. Remember how Frodo put on the One Ring and Gollum still smelt him out and bit off his finger and took it. Sam would have a slight advantage but whose to say it would have been enough.

Feanorian

Reaction score
No I am saying the one ring would not help Sam very much if he were to fight your poor Smeagol.

Feanorian

Reaction score
Opps. My fault. I should have known you were talking to the illogical Feanor-hater.

elithraniel

Reaction score
I'd just like to comment:
Frodo was the person meant to be the ringbearer. Nothing would have been the same if it was Sam.
PLUS:
Lord of the Rings would have not been the same, or the way Tolkien intended it. With Frodo as the Ringbearer everything is the way it was meant to be! :D

Thread suggestions