🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Would you ever name one of your children after a sil. name?or derived from it?

M

Mormegil

I would definately name my son 'Mormegil Smith', It's such a cool name.:p

But seriously. Idril isn't a bad name either. Same with Varda.

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
One of my friend's neighbor's has a son named, Aragorn Peregrin. I don't think I could do that to one of my kids..... Luthien is a pretty name though.

fëanáro

Reaction score
i dont know, there are lots of nice and cool names, im too careful with this kinda stuff.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I wonder if Ancalagon Junior would look good on a birth certificate? Better still; I wonder would my son like to have this as a name, then again he could have been one of Frank Zappas children and then where would he be!

Feanor

Reaction score
I know some names I definitely (not definately) wouldn't use: Manwe, Mandos, Ulmo.

Girl: Luthien, Idril
Boy: Beren,

Maybe a child's name is going too far. A car on the other hand...

I have a silver audi and I've already thought of a name: MITHRIL
Had: Eagle Talon - GWAIHIR

Luthien

Reaction score
This talk make me remember that in my country existed a guy who changed his name to Radical Sanson ¡¡¿?!!

Please, be careful with names, specially your sons names. :)

Last edited:

Brent

Reaction score
Had a Boat called Vingilot once - Surprising how many people recognised the name, which is pretty obsure.

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
Obscure? Who could forget the name of the ship that travel's the sky each night, bringing light and hope to Middle-Earth via the Silmaril borne by Earendil? :) :) :)

Seriously -- I think that Luthien Tinuviel is one of the fairest names that I have ever heard. I'd name any daughter of mine that if I had a wife who was at least slightly bonkers like me. :)

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
I know a girl named Arwyn!

I don't think I'd actually name my kid with a Tolkien name for the first name, but I'm not opposed to middle names. Though, Tiffany Tinuviel sounds really bad.... (not that I like the name Tiffany....)

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Actually I did it.... I named my son after the first name I encountered there...

...and Chris even likes his name! :p

Brent

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tyaronumen
Obscure? Who could forget the name of the ship that travel's the sky each night, bringing light and hope to Middle-Earth via the Silmaril borne by Earendil? :) :) :)

Seriously -- I think that Luthien Tinuviel is one of the fairest names that I have ever heard. I'd name any daughter of mine that if I had a wife who was at least slightly bonkers like me. :)
Easy Tommy Aikens from Bootle ! But seriously, yes Luthien Tinuviel is pretty good.

Bucky

Reaction score
My son is named JRR, Jay for short.

Made you look!

Sam maybe, Rose definitely.
My oldest daughter's middle name is Rose.
But I'm not much on odd names.
Life's tough enough without kids picking on you because your name is Finrod or Fingolfin....

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
Yeah -- Finrod and Fingolfin might be considered odd... but I have discovered that kids will pick on almost any name that isn't theirs. :)

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
I want to name my son, when I have one, John Beren. I think that goes well with my last name of Spieles. Not really about Tolkien or anything, but I know a kid named Raisor Isreal Sharp..... Now if his parents weren't smokin something when hew was born I'd real surprised...

laura

Reaction score
I've met a girl called Arwen and I must admit to considering Arwen for both my daughters, but in the end gave them different names (3 each, just in case they don't like their first names).

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Lord A, are you for real? Raisor Isreal Sharp? LOL!

I always thought Lorien would be a lovely name for a girl. I would definitely name my kids with a Sil name, even if it was only a middle name. There are some beautiful names in that book. I quite like Indis and Melian as well. I haven't got any kids, but i suppose i could start with some pets...

Thread suggestions