🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Writing Elvish

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to write things using the Elvish characters using something like the Tengwar? It says that their letters did not have set values or something like that...? I heard that you could learn to write your name and I was wondering if anyone knew how. Thanks :D

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Dear chrome_rocknave,most of us have been obsessed by Tolkien's immense creativity for years.Learning the Tengwar is inevitable:)
There are several approaches which most of us used to make their first steps into Elvish.
1)Use the Appendices to the book(it's hard,believe me)
2)Search the web,enter "Tengwar" and you'll be amazed the results
3)Some of us have used some special guides-"Introduction Into Elvish" and so on.

Perhaps there are other ways,but I hope three are more than enough for you at this stage.
Wish you good luck:)
May the blessings of Galadriel guide your way,my son!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
As I have boasted many times before, I can indeed write Tengwar; but only in the Westron/Black Speech mode, which is different from, eg. the Feanorian script.. I think. :p
Anyway, I learned it from "An Introduction to Elvish", and "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth".

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Melian
Dear chrome_rocknave,most of us have been obsessed by Tolkien's immense creativity for years.Learning the Tengwar is inevitable:)
There are several approaches which most of us used to make their first steps into Elvish.
1)Use the Appendices to the book(it's hard,believe me)
2)Search the web,enter "Tengwar" and you'll be amazed the results
3)Some of us have used some special guides-"Introduction Into Elvish" and so on.

Perhaps there are other ways,but I hope three are more than enough for you at this stage.
Wish you good luck:)
May the blessings of Galadriel guide your way,my son!
daughter would be more accurate :rolleyes: but thanks for the info....I will have to search for Tengwar....and I've tried from the appendices but found it too hard for me to tackle..thanks :D

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
All apologies,chrome_rocknave!:)
Anyway,keep up the good work and I expect you in some time with a brand new signature in Elvish,which will show off your progress in the matter!

Thread suggestions