🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Your Favorite Vala

Which one is your favorite Valar?

• Manwë

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Varda (Elbereth)

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Aulë

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Yavanna

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Ulmo

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Tulkas

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Oromë

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Lórien

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Estë

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Reply which one wasn't mentioned)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Mandos (Namo)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Nienna

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Good old Tulkas and Manwe I'd have to say! Hey, UngattTrunn475, maybe you should do the favourite Maia as well! Like Eonwe, Sauron, Melian etc...

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Oh and by the way UngattTrunn475, you forgot Irmo, the Vala of visions and dreams. Just thought I'd clear that one up!!

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
I voted for Varda, cause I like the stars :D

All the way through the books, the light of the stars is always the death knell for evil. From Shelob shrinking back from the phial of galadriel to the light of the Silmaril becoming Venus, to the chant of Elbereth making the black riders go away, she is the favorite of the Elves and the maker of the light of the trees.

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I liked Tulkas alot. He seemed to be especially powerful in the Sil.

Bucky

Reaction score
Melkor.

I love (is that the right way to put it?) when he tells Hurin "You have dared to mock Melkor, master of the fates of Arda."
Very cool & self assured in his pride.

Now, if it's a matter of a 'good guy', Ulmo's by far the coolest, like when he rises out of the sea to great Tour.
Or, the neat prophetic words he sends, like to Nargothrond via Gelmir & the other Elf: "Cast the Stones of your pride into the river so the creeping evil will not find the gate."
To Turgon: "Love not overmuch the work of thy hands & remember the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West & comes from the sea."

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I chose Namo (Mandos) because he is the guy who everyone must ultimately see. He plays an extremely important role in all of Tolkien's books but doesn't hog any of the limelight. He also put together a pretty good Curse (Prophecy) which he laid on Feanor and the Noldor who went with him. Cool guy.

Bucky

Reaction score
That shoulda been 'rises out of the water & GREETS Tour.
Sorry, it was late....

Grond:
I was thinking last night that Mandos was pretty cool too.

Manwe's too boringly perfect to be #1.......

Varda

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ulairi
Oh and by the way UngattTrunn475, you forgot Irmo, the Vala of visions and dreams. Just thought I'd clear that one up!!
Actually, that is another name for Lorien. Lorien is the place where Irmo dwelt, and he was often called by that name.

I doubt anyone cares, but there are more Vala. Nienna: Este's sister and the vala of mourning; Vaire, Mandos' wife and the Weaver; Vana, Orome's spouse, the "everyoung"; and Nessa, Tulkas' wife and the vala of deer and dancing.

Does anyone else notice that Tolkien only recognizes these valar as being the wives of the male valar? It just reflects the male chauvanism of Tolkien's time. ;)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Varda

Actually, that is another name for Lorien. Lorien is the place where Irmo dwelt, and he was often called by that name.

I doubt anyone cares, but there are more Vala. Nienna: Este's sister and the vala of mourning; Vaire, Mandos' wife and the Weaver; Vana, Orome's spouse, the "everyoung"; and Nessa, Tulkas' wife and the vala of deer and dancing.

Does anyone else notice that Tolkien only recognizes these valar as being the wives of the male valar? It just reflects the male chauvanism of Tolkien's time. ;)
Yes... I noticed that none of the female Vala really DO anything. I mean Aule is responsible for the Earth and Manwe the Air and Ulmo the Sea. Now... let's see.... hmmm Who was it that made the Two Trees? Who was it that made the kelvar and olvar? And who actually came up with the idea of a protector of the olvar that resulted in the Ents? By the way, who created the stars and the heavens? Well, I'll be. I guess a feminine touch was required after all! ;)

Elanor2

Reaction score
Ulmo. He seems to have a thinking head over his wet shoulders.

By the way, female Valar do plenty. Yavanna is probably one of the busiest Valar, and Varda was responsible for stars, lighter trees and many other things.

However, male Valar have longer roles, specially during meetings and so. Would it be that males tend to chatter more? :)

Bucky

Reaction score
>>>Does anyone else notice that Tolkien only recognizes these valar as being the wives of the male valar? It just reflects the male chauvanism of Tolkien's time.

The book was published in 1977.
Tolkien was changing it up to his death in 1973.

The PC's were well on their way to brainwashing society, or calling everyone with an opinion different from their 'tolerance' a bigot by then....

Here's another surprise for you:

Men & women are not equal, they are DIFFERENT. Each person has their own different gifts, yet certain traits are more common among women or men.

Tolkien plainly gives each Vala 'personality' & 'traits' leaning towards the femanine & masculine.

I believe he states many times that the Elves held Elbereth in the highest esteem of ALL the Valar.
I don't ever recall the Elves singing about Manwe.

And, on why he has mostly men in his stories:
Because men have traditionally been the warriors & his stories mostly deal with war.

BTW, Who's the #1 'good' power in the 1st Age?
MELIAN.

Who's the #1 'good' power in the 3rd Age?
GALADRIEL.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Yes Varda, I realised that after I posted it. Lorien was another name for Irmo. I kicked myself because of that silly mistake. Oh well, I'm human, I can make mistakes!!!

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Yes the female Valar made such wonderful things!! I voted for Elbereth because I like the stars a lot!!!

UngattTrunn475

O Fierce Wildcat
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bucky
Melkor.

I love (is that the right way to put it?) when he tells Hurin "You have dared to mock Melkor, master of the fates of Arda."
Very cool & self assured in his pride.

Now, if it's a matter of a 'good guy', Ulmo's by far the coolest, like when he rises out of the sea to great Tour.
Or, the neat prophetic words he sends, like to Nargothrond via Gelmir & the other Elf: "Cast the Stones of your pride into the river so the creeping evil will not find the gate."
To Turgon: "Love not overmuch the work of thy hands & remember the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West & comes from the sea."
Melkor isn't a Valar. ;)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
It states in the Silmarillion that Melkor was a Vala but is no longer numbered among them because of his sins in corrupting Middle-earth. Technically, by the time of the War of the Ring, he is not considered a Vala.

Varda

Reaction score
Originally posted by Bucky
The book was published in 1977.
Tolkien was changing it up to his death in 1973.

The PC's were well on their way to brainwashing society, or calling everyone with an opinion different from their 'tolerance' a bigot by then....

Here's another surprise for you:

Men & women are not equal, they are DIFFERENT. Each person has their own different gifts, yet certain traits are more common among women or men.

Tolkien plainly gives each Vala 'personality' & 'traits' leaning towards the femanine & masculine.
Yes, but being someone's wife is not a personality trait

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread suggestions