🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Your name

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Oh, blame me for being so curious.... but would you like to share what your Forum name means (some of them are quite understandable, of course! ;) ) and why you have chosen it in particular?

Once upon a time I opened a similar thread somewhere on these boards... outside the Guild...but I now care about the Guild! :D :D :D
And I thought that this new thread will help us know each other even better... Besides, it can be fun! Summer!!!! :D

To start it :

My name I received from a name-generator on the Barrow Downs site and it means a Lonely Eagle . As I have always admired these creatures and after reading about them in Tolkien books ...etc.. (other reasons too ;) )..... I liked the name very much and I kept it.

What about you?

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
No Idea what Beleg_strongbow means. :(

The Eytmologies didn't clear it up for me.

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Directly from Councilofelrond.com, my Sindarian name is Tûrwaithon. Victory to the people... Nick:)

Go Here for a good.. no GREAT names database.;)

EDIT:
Oh... And what our Forum name is? That would be Moraran. Literally Black King. No elvish word for Captain:( Strange... there should be:eek:

I originaly picked MorgulKing if anyone can remember...:rolleyes: I changed it to Black Captain just because it's SOOOO unvalueably cooler. I just thought this character was so powerful and cool, but not so much to be Sauron or Melkorish power.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beleg_strongbow
No Idea what Beleg_strongbow means. :(

The Eytmologies didn't clear it up for me.
Hah-ha! Veeeeeeeery funny!:rolleyes: ;)

And what, my young esquir, made you chose the name of the greatest huntsman that ever walked the lands of ME? ;) :D

Spirit, what was your previous name?

spirit

Dragon Tamer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
Spirit, what was your previous name?
something really stupid, not gonna say what tho cause i dont want to!. and that name had a record, cause every forum i went on i got banned. this is the first time i used 'spirit' and havent got banned yet.

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
And what, my young esquir, made you chose the name of the greatest huntsman that ever walked the lands of ME?
:)

My name at Tolkien Debates was Beleg_strongbow, and I wanted to maintain one name on all Tolkien related forums visited by me, so I had no other option to go by the name of Beleg_strongbow, although the '_' really irks me.
And on TD I choose Beleg_strongbow because, well because It was the first name that came in my mind at the moment. :)

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
One day I came up a site with Elvish names (find your name in Elvish and so on...;)) and here's what I learned there:
MICHAEL: In Hebrew, Mi kha-'el? is the rhetorical question "Who [is] like God?" - in Quenya Man [ná] ve Eru?. This may be contracted to Manveru
I fell in love with that name 'from the first sight'...
And that meaning... it makes me feel so proud (maybe too proud... no I'm kidding:D;)).

BTW: I checked that site which BlackCaptain 'offered' and I'm little confused:confused: - there is my name written Manberu (maybe the difference in one small letter-''b'' instead of ''v''-comes from differences in Quenya and Sindarin... I don't know, but I like Manveru better so I'll just stick to that;)).

BTW2: Since we are talking about names... I don't know if you are familiar with this site (I saw it on the other forum;)):

Find Your Hobbit name
It's 'pure' fun...
My name (Hobbit name;)) is Berilac Maggot ;)
(is it possible that we're 'connected' in some way, Mrs. Maggott?:D;))

Last edited:

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Well, my name seems to be obvious, Scatha:

One of the four documented dragons in Middle Earth by Tolkien.
The reason was simple:

1) A dragon is a sign of strength, according to chinese astrology.
2) I already have a dragon tattoed on my upper right arm.
3) Next to Elves, dragons are one of my main passions.
4) The name wasn't taken. ;)

BlackCaptain, there is a site that offers a quenya word for Captain, which is Nikerym, but the site also adds words to the wordlist made by Tolkien, so it is not totally accurate.

Yet it does give you a word to use for Captain. ;)

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
Very simple: my real name is Alex. Xale is an anagram of this, but it sounds the same and looks better with a 'Z' instead of an 'X'.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
If anyone around here is strong in Quenya/Sindarin...whatever other form of Elvish

What would "Tarí Alcarin " mean? This is the name that page gave to me. Thanx, ManvEru! BTW, I have wondered what your name might mean...

Zale, I like it more with an "X".... but it's your name - you decide :D

Beleg, did you come around through the TD first ? :eek:

Anamatar, don't hide! :p :D I remember what you once explained about how you came up with this name! :D What now? Have you already forgotten or .... :p

Scatha.... I have always wondered why you don't use a "dragon"-avatar ;) And although it is not the place but would you consider the idea of starting a research on Dragons at the "Study"? Those Halls have been all covered with dust! At least promise me you'll think about it! I personally will be glad to participate. I used to offer dragons-about threads more than once on this and on other boards. Aren't they fascinating creatures!

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
Beleg, did you come around through the TD first ?
Yup. Joined TD on 6th January 2003 and TTF on 10th January 2003 only because on TD everyone was talking about TTF and I didn't knew what that meant!

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel:
If anyone around here is strong in Quenya/Sindarin...whatever other form of Elvish

What would "Tarí Alcarin " mean? This is the name that page gave to me.
Let me see, boss...
I'm not so strong in Elvish languages, but I like translating very much (I study to be one in the future;)).
I think the name you've been given is in Quenya:

Tari - n. queen
Alcarin - adj. glorious

What else can it simply mean than ''glorious queen''...
Fine name our ''glorious wraith queen''
:D

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
Anamatar, don't hide! I remember what you once explained about how you came up with this name! What now? Have you already forgotten or ....
Bleh.;)

The night before I joined I was reading the LotR Appendixes and I came across a guy named Atanamir. I liked the name so I wrote it down on a sticky note someplace. The next day, I was at my brother's work place and I didn't exactly have access to any books. So I registered at TTF thinking Anamatar was Atanamir.:p

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
Scatha.... I have always wondered why you don't use a "dragon"-avatar ;) And although it is not the place but would you consider the idea of starting a research on Dragons at the "Study"? Those Halls have been all covered with dust! At least promise me you'll think about it! I personally will be glad to participate. I used to offer dragons-about threads more than once on this and on other boards. Aren't they fascinating creatures!

Since I like both Elves and dragons, I decided to take an elven avatar and a dragon name. That may change in time though.

As for the study, most of the research on dragons is freely available on the "Encyclopedia of Arda" website. Even an article that 'proves' that balrogs had wings, by using quotes from the book.

But I'd certainly be willing to do a Dragons 'r Us thread. ;)

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
The Encyclopedia of Arda is an encyclopedia and that's it - nothing more! :rolleyes:

But look at

this place !!!!!!

Does the Encyclopedia of Arda provide such a detailed scope of information about dragons? NO! Only Tolkien Wiki! :p :D

And now, all that we need there is a nice Scatha-style picture of a dragon! ;) :D

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
My name?Hmm...nice thread,Lhun!:)

My name was,actually,proposed by GG.He told me to register in the forum because 'it was a great fun and very educational' and so did I. I hadn't read much of Tolkien then so I asked him what name would be suitable for me.And he gave me the name Finduilas. Later I read the Sil of course and found out who this Finduilas was and I nearly fell in love with her as a character and everything.:) He was very right about my name and I should thank him.:)Thank you,my brother! ;)
Now,as I said this and mentioned the sister-brother relationship between us (as characters I mean) I start to think that he had planed this!;)He knew that Gil-Galad was Finduilas's brother and I didn't and now he can fool everyone on the forum that we are brother and a sister in real life to by calling me 'my little elven sis'! ;):D Hehe,I got your intentions,big brother!;):D But don't worry,I don't mind!:D

Thread suggestions