🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Your name

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lantarion
YAY!! Something to nitpick! :D
El(e) = star
anor = sun

So it's 'Star-sun', not 'Sun-star'! HA! :D
Don't blame me! :eek:
It was EoA's fault I tell ya!
In fact, even TolkienWiki says it is 'Sun-star'!....

I'm pretty sure that Tolkien called it Sunstar as well...:p

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
A translation doesn't always read well with the words in the same order as the original. Tolkien had been aware of that from the very start, as when he was a small boy he wrote a story and was corrected in his usage, being told that he could not refer to a "green great dragon". He wondered why on earth not, and a love relationship with language grew until it could be contained in private no longer and flowed out into the world. Often, when I write Tolkien's works into Microsoft Word, the grammar checker still suggests I re-arrange the great man's usage.

Kelonus was an evil dwarf!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!
Get your pen out and start writing a story starring the great hero Kelonus.

Khôr’nagan

Ar-Zigûrlôkhî
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lantarion
{core-nug-un} is the correct pronunciation. :)
Wow, Really? Cool, and thanks a lot! Now it kind of sound to me like it could be some medieval knight's name, with that pronunciation... All the better!

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
My favorite short story by Tolkien is Smith of Wooten Major. Starbrow is the name given to the human who is allowed to visit Faery. I always wanted to be more than human and this seemed like a way to achieve that.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Starbrow, great name! Smith of W.M. is one of my favourite stories too. :D
Originally posted by KhĂ´r'nagan
Wow, Really? Cool, and thanks a lot! Now it kind of sound to me like it could be some medieval knight's name, with that pronunciation... All the better!
haha, yeah! Cornagan the Brave! :D

MaidenofLorien

Reaction score
mine is just what it says a Maiden of Lorien, I wanted to be Lady of Lorien but it was taken. i picked it cuz i loved thaat part in the book and movie, Lorien to me is a place of sanctuary for the elves and one of the last elven-fair places in Middle-Earth

gilgalad

Master of the Universe
Reaction score
I think its well documented, but i'll tell the story of my name again for those who are new enough not to remember me, or old enough to have forgotten:

Gil-galad's my favorite character in Tolkien (used to be anyway), and I was under the impression that for one names weren't case-sensitive when I registered, and two that dashes weren't considered acceptable characters in a name, like in an email account. Much to my horror, i discovered not only that there was someone with pretty much the same name on the forum, but also that he was an active member in the one guild I had any interest in! Great how these things work out isn't it!?

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Well, gg, I'm "new" (well, not quite;) I think I've already written my name in the 'happenings' in the Guild;);)) so I can't remember you, but welcome back!!

Wow! Now we've got two Gil-Galads (one BIG and one small:D).

Nice story, btw.

gilgalad

Master of the Universe
Reaction score
Originally posted by Manveru

Wow! Now we've got two Gil-Galads (one BIG and one small:D).
What type of packages do they say the best things come in again?!?;)

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I think we can cope with GG and gg. I loved the sound of my name; I was glad no-one else got there first. When I try to use it elsewhere I find it's been taken (eg Amazon); but it's meaning: Elfsheen, is usually available.

C

celebdraug

Celeb = Silver
Draug = Wolf

therefore Celebdraug = Silverwolf
:)
i love my name!

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
I kept it more simple, even though an elven name would have suited me fine, but this one does rather well for me.

Scatha, one of the 4 dragons described by Tolkien.

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Congrats on an avatar (I guess first one, right?)

A really nice one, btw;)

:D

C

celebdraug

Yea! Thankyou! But i cant take all the credit, because Aragorn21 found it for me! :)
i just started looking at everyone elses avatars too, normally i dint do that! Its cause i have one now! Most people have random ones which are really kewl!

C

celebdraug

Manveru you have a nice avatars too! Do you like angels?

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by celebdraug
Celeb = Silver
Draug = Wolf

therefore Celebdraug = Silverwolf
:)
i love my name!
Almost as good as mine ;) *angelic smile*

Celeb = Silver
thĂ´l = helm

Silverhelm

:D I comed up with it moiself! :D

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Thats the best way, its more original that way, and for the most part, those that made up their own names and didnt just use "Legolas" or something like that :rolleyes: seem to stay on here a lot longer! :)

Thread suggestions